Our Statement on Safeguarding Children and Adults at Risk
In accordance with the House of Bishops’ Policy Statements ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ (2017)
and ‘Protecting All God’s Children’ 4th edition (2010) and the Diocesan Safeguarding Policy ‘Promoting a Safer Diocese’ (2018) our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture;
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children young people and vulnerable adults within the church;
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation;
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons;
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons;
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all;
- Have a named Church Safeguarding Officer (CSO) to work with the incumbent and the
PCC to implement policy and procedures;
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse;
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish;
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs;
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse;
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding
Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately;
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred;
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties;
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually;
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the
guidelines established by this church.
We have appointed Mr Derek Biddle and Mrs Mary Biddle as our Church Safeguarding Officers and Miss Pat Roney as our Children’s Champion.
(Adopted by the Parochial Church Council, most recently on 18 May 2022)
Church Safeguarding Officers
Our Safeguarding Officers are the first people to speak to if you have any concerns around the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult. They are: Derek and Mary Biddle.
You can contact them on: 077 6869 5040 (Derek) or 07770 395183 (Mary).
The Children’s Champion is here to be an advocate for all children in all areas of Parish life, making sure their views are heard and their needs are thought of. She is: Miss Pat Roney. You can contact her via the church (020 8863 3690) or the Safeguarding Officers.
Mr Derek Biddle
Mrs Mary Biddle
Miss Pat Roney
Important telephone numbers:
Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers: 020 7932 1224 email@example.com
Thirtyone:Eight’s 24-hour helpline: 0303 003 1111
Family Lives: 0808 800 222
Childline: 0800 1111