Our Statement on Safeguarding Children and Adults at Risk
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
- We accept and endorse the principles set out in ‘Safeguarding in the Diocese of London’.
- We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our mmbers, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
- We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
We have appointed Mr Derek Biddle and Mrs Mary Biddle as our Church Safeguarding Officers and Miss Pat Roney as our Children’s Champion.
(Adopted by the Parochial Church Council, most recently on 23 May 2019)
Church Safeguarding Officers
Our Safeguarding Officers are the first people to speak to if you have any concerns around the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult. They are: Derek and Mary Biddle.
You can contact them on: 077 6869 5040 (Derek) or 07770 395183 (Mary).
The Children’s Champion is here to be an advocate for all children in all areas of Parish life, making sure their views are heard and their needs are thought of. She is: Miss Pat Roney. You can contact her via the church (020 8863 3690) or the Safeguarding Officers.
Mr Derek Biddle
Mrs Mary Biddle
Miss Pat Roney
Important telephone numbers:
Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers: 020 7932 1224 firstname.lastname@example.org
Thirtyone:Eight’s 24-hour helpline: 0303 003 1111
Family Lives: 0808 800 222
Childline: 0800 1111